Another view. I will have to wait until it warms up to put the carbon sleeves over the wooden/aluminum swingarms. The high temp today was 28 degrees and my garage only got up to 35 degrees. My charming wife will not let me apply epoxy inside the house. Go figure.

Design # 3 for the rear swingarms: Part 1

01/13/2012  The rear swingarms have been as much of a challenge as the entire frame. I went thru 6 frames in various stages of completion before settling on the one you saw in the post called ” On the road at last”. So far I am on just the 3rd redesign of the rear swingarms. Actually design #2 works okay but is a little bit crude. #2 was a nightmare to put the carbon fiber on and the result was crude looking in places like the bottom shock mount and the round dowel that helped prevent vertical torquing between the 2 arms or chainstays as they are called on regular bikes. I had to figure out a better way to apply the carbon fiber. Continue reading

This was my 4th ride and I have been on the bike for about 1.5 hrs total and about 10 miles. It took that long before I had the nerve to take one hand off the wheel. Now I can make u-turns in the street in front of my house without hitting the curb on either side.

On the road at last !!

11/18/12  I started this project in February of 2012. I got tired of waiting on the plans to arrive from Robert Q Riley so in May I started without any plans. I made 5 false starts and several modifications to RQR’s plans. RQR used very expensive urethane foam which is impossible to find in Northwest Arkansas. I used 1 sheet of 1″ thick by 4′ x 8′ blueboard foam insulation that you can buy at Lowe’s for $16. You can get a pink version at Home Depot for the same price. The steering on  mine is a push/pull system on the outside of the top tube. RQR’s uses a shaft within another shaft and a u-joint at the front. His looks neater and is more aero but mine was easier and cheaper to make. RQR used custom made aluminum front forks with a disc brake. I cut down a 700c carbon fork that came from one of my old bikes. The fork was free and I used a standard road bike rim caliper brake. RQR used a small front chain ring and I used a Shimano Ultegra 50/34 crankset without a front derailleur that was on my TT bike until recently. Continue reading

Not all of the components are on the frame in these photos.

Frame # 6 fits me nicely and looks great

10/19/2012  I had about 20 hrs of labor in frame # 5 when I discovered I had made several mistakes in the measurements. Since it takes only 8 hours or so to carve and sand a new foam frame, I just started over again and changed all the errant measurements. While I was at it, I raised the seat a bit to allow more clearance for the chain return idler. I also completely redesigned the upper shock mount bracket since the 1st one was a poor design. Continue reading